Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. Civil engineering is the second-oldest engineering discipline after military engineering, and it is defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering.
The undergraduate program in civil engineering will teach you to apply mathematics and scientific knowledge (particularly physics) to real-life situations and problems that arise from creating and maintaining structures, taking into account environmental, financial, legal and ethical considerations. At its core, civil engineering is a combination of many scientific specialisms, including mechanics, hydraulics, geotechnics (using knowledge of the earth’s crust to solve construction problems), materials science and statistical analysis. As such, study of these foundational elements will feature heavily in the undergraduate program for civil engineering degree.
What does a Civil Engineer do?
- Civil engineers are involved in the design and building of highways, bridges and tunnels, schools, hospitals, airports and other buildings, sewage systems and water treatment facilities.
- Most structures, large and small, require the help of a civil engineer whether in the designing, planning or managing of the project.
- Civil engineers also help to preserve our environment by assisting in the cleaning up of existing pollution and planning ways to reduce future pollution of our air, land and water.
What is the future for a Civil Engineering graduate?
Civil engineers are employed in all the major construction projects carried out by the state or central government like the public works departments (PWD), the railways and military. Civil Engineers are mostly required in private construction and real estate companies as project engineers. Civil Engineers can find the opportunities in any of the following category…..
- Building control surveyor
- Building services engineer
- Engineering geologist
- Quantity surveyor
- Site engineer
- Structural engineer
- Water engineer
Prof. Chidanand Naik
Head of Civil Engineering